Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cake Decorating vs. Scrapbooking

This post is for Jacinda....

I have recently taken up cake decorating (thanks to my friend Jacinda).  Hey, I'm always up for learning a new craft.  While I was in the classes, I was constantly complaining about how time consuming cake decorating was.  Jacinda compared it to scrapbooking for me.  Okay, yes, I can spend several hours on one scrapbook page... end of subject.  That is until I had to decorate a whole cake from start to finish.  I made this lovely cake for Enrichment last night.

It took me over two hours to decorate this cake. (and I already had the fondant made and one of the flowers).  You see, cake decorating is something that you can't just leave and finish up the next day or the next week.  If you have to have it done by 7:00 that night, then you have to have it done by 7:00 that night.  Now, I should have made all of the flowers ahead of time, but that's my own problem with procrastination.  Needless to say, although I do like the finished product and I do actually think it was kind of fun, it's hard for me to have a craft that is perishable... I can't just work on it a little bit at a time at my leisure.  And the real kicker is.... no one destroys my scrapbook pages after I make them... not even Joren.

As a side note.  Glass cake pans are extremely heavy.  If you ever think that the church is only 3 blocks away and it's not big deal to walk that far carrying a heavy glass cake dish, just drive.  My back is still hurting from carrying that thing over to the church.

Oh, and I LOVE my BLOGSTALKERS!  Don't stop coming by!  I just want you to leave a comment every once in awhile!!!


6 comments:

Cami said...

I LOVE the string of pearl effect on the bottom.
The results are gorgeous!

The York's said...

WOW impressive! Love the purple and the pearls!!!

The Britton Clan said...

This is your best one yet! I like the color combination. Yes it is a time consuming but rewarding. Nothing like making people happy with an edible craft. How do you think I make all my friends? cake.

Lib-Dawg said...

Beautiful cake - to bad you had to eat it.

HEATHER and JON said...

That looks so cool. I wish I could have been there to try some. Good Job! What else do you do besides scrapbooking and cake decorating?

Anonymous said...

I was googling "cake decorating as popular as scrapbooking was" and your blog post popped up :) I'm LDS too. Let's be friends!