Saturday, August 25, 2007

Things I learned at Education Week at BYU

Lessons I learned in classes (not in order of importance, but in order of my classes)
1. The job of Homemaker is the job for which all other's exist (I could explain if I could remember the analogy.)
2. A Happy Wife is a Happy Life
3. If you plan on getting there EARLY, you may make it ON TIME.
4. You get back what you give out. If you're angry, your kids will be angry, if you're happy, your kids will be happy.
5. Invite music into your home.
6. Do everything you can to make your kids want to be in your home and their friends want to come over to your house.
7. Write down promptings from the spirit (so you don't forget them and you can act on them.)
8. An adult attention span is only 7 minutes (I've probably lost you already.)
9. A 2 year old's brain is like an overgrown garden. All of the vegetables are good, but if they aren't thinned out, nothing will grow. A 2 year old is like a sponge. They are learning soooo much and everything is good, but we need to focus on only a few of those things.
10. Even if marriages are made in Heaven, Man is responsible for the maintenance.
11. "Each family is given all the gifts it need to gain exaltation." Bernell Christensen. Each unique person in our family with each of their different talents help us reach exaltation as a family.
12. Do a family service once a month or more.
13. Pray to the Lord to help you make decisions- even if you want to make them yourselves.
14. "They may not remember what you said, but they'll remember how you make them feel." (I know you've all heard this but I can't remember who said it.
15. Children will become who they are told they are.
16. A lot of history about the Salt Lake Temple... ask me and I'll tell you some time.
Lessons I learned from Deena (my yard-saleing buddy that I went to Ed Week with)
1. I can only dress like a teenager for 7 more years because I will be too old at 39.
2. It's not always about ME.
3. How not to diet and exercise (sorry Deena I wasn't very good this week)
4. How to accessorize. (She made me buy earrings and a necklace)

etc. etc. to both lists.

I had a lot of fun and I've been rejuvanated to be a better mom, spouse and person!!!

No comments: